Wednesday, September 05, 2007

The Crazy Things Christians Do


Here’s an interesting article about the evolution of alcohol in Christian books. It used to be completely taboo in Christian books, unless a character was clearly the bad guy, but this is a trend that in recent years is beginning to change. If you’ve read any of our books (or, you know, our blog) it won’t come as a surprise that we both drink socially, and so do our characters.

Let’s face it, it wouldn’t ring true to write a chick lit book about a twenty-something girl in New York who didn’t have a glass of wine with friends now and then. But we did get our fair share of rejection letters (and hate mail) because our characters did scandalous things like have a glass of wine. I completely respect when others choose not to drink, and honestly, look up to them for it, but you do see it more and more in CBA books, and it’s nice to see that the industry is changing to accept that not everyone has the same experiences and expressions of faith.

In other news, my passion for bad apocalyptic paraphernalia is well-documented, but up until now my experience was incomplete. Thankfully, I remedied that this weekend by watching A Thief in the Night . Several people (including my boss, who I gave this DVD to as a Christmas gift) have told me that it terrified them when they were kids, but if you’ve never seen it, you must. It’s a terrible seventies film about the rapture, and those who get left behind.

It’s basically nothing more than a really obvious evangelistic piece designed to scare the crap out of you. But it’s genius! The head of the United Nations is apparently the anti-Christ. And everyone left behind has to get tattooed with the mark of the beast, which is 666—in BINARY! (0110 0110 0110). This must have been really cool in 1972, when computers were brand new and took up an entire room.

Be sure to check out the special features, which both show you how to ask Jesus into your heart and explain exactly what's going to happen in the end times. Theologians have argued about different ways to interpret Revelation for centuries-- isn't it nice that they figured it out and lay it all out for us here?

It’s totally worth your time, if you have very bad taste and/or a lot of time on your hands. Also, if you like to laugh at the ridiculous things Christians do even while it kind of makes you sad.

4 comments:

May Vanderbilt said...

Wow! This makes the Left Behind series looks not as original.

And this clip is hilarious. My parents weren't the type to show us stuff like this...and I'm glad. I would have had nightmares for years.

Danielle said...

I remember seeing these movies when I was in the 4th or 5th grade and they scared the living crap out of me, which is funny because as a christian I really had no need to be. I really wonder what my parent's were thinking letting us watch them. It was kind of like Mad Max: The Bible version.

Lisa Adams said...

I think I'll pass.. "Stupid things that Christians do" for 200, isn't my cup of tea *grin*. However, I have to admit a certain morbid curiosity as to the reasons behind the lengths these people go to.

Anne Dayton said...

Ah, but Lisa, I said crazy, not stupid.

And I think ridiculous things like this are genuinely motivated by a sincere desire to save souls. It is ultimately a loving gesture, just one that looks a lot like punching you in the face. With a sledgehammer. Badly.